The hosted desktop offers a variety of benefits to businesses. Benefits such as reduced costs, greater security, better backup procedures and increased productivity. But, if your organisation has decided to move to a virtual desktop setup, there are some things you’ll need to do to ensure a successful deployment.
- Which platform/products should you use? There are many different vendors who provide hosted desktop services and products to support modern businesses. So it can be difficult deciding what the right set up for you is. At Cloud Geeni, we’ll discuss your needs to find a solution that meets your operational requirements and your budget.
- What hardware will your hosted desktops run on? When you opt for a VDI, you can choose to run thick clients, thin clients, zero clients and/or mobile devices. Each provides different benefits and drawbacks. Find out more about the different hardware options.
- Have you established a budget? Yes, desktop virtualisation is a cost-effective solution, but that doesn’t mean it’s free. The cloud has made enterprise-level software affordable for small and growing firms with a fully managed service – proven to improve your IT infrastructure – usually available for one low monthly cost. So, take the time to work out what it will cost you upfront and over time. It also pays to establish the (often significant) cost savings and potential ROI in case you need to convince others in your business.
- Where will your data be stored? Following the Brexit vote, the location of data centres has become increasingly important, with many UK businesses looking to switch to centres located in the UK.
- Are your data storage processes compliant? In addition to current data protection legislation, in response to the threat of data breaches, public opinion has pressured governments into introducing tighter data protection legislation. The new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) could lead to a maximum penalty of €20 million or 4% of worldwide turnover for failures to comply.
- How are you going to manage your hosted desktops? If you are going down the hosted desktop route, regardless of the hardware you choose, it makes sense to deploy a managed approach. This way, IT specialists are keeping an eye on your system all the time, making sure it’s running smoothly and quickly. Managed desktop services also boast best-in-class backup and recovery processes. So you can be sure that your data is recoverable should something go wrong. All the latest software fixes and security updates are also made automatically, and are constantly protecting your system.
- Have you got the necessary internet access? With a cloud based hosted desktop, all the applications, programs, and files you need to run your business are accessed over the web (instead of being stored on your computer’s hard drive). So, first and foremost, you’ll need a decent broadband connection. If you don’t have a broadband speed of at least 4MB per second, then you’ll need to get this sorted before making the switch. You can check your internet speed here: speedtest.net
- Plan ahead. Whenever you introduce new technology into a business, things can go wrong. Insufficient bandwidth restrictions, low storage capacity or an inability to scale are some of the most common problems. However, by taking the time to assess your organisation’s needs up front, you can reduce the likelihood of any issues, and be ready to act swiftly if necessary. In fact, when you work with us, ensuring continuity of your operations is always a top priority.
At Cloud Geeni, our hosted desktop services consistently achieve the highest level of data security and reliability. With high-quality support and customer service, and proven experience in understanding business needs, we provide everything you need to help your business thrive. To find out how a VDI can benefit your business, speak to a member of our team on 01942 263 434 or request a demo to see how our excellent hosted desktop solutions work in practice.