At Cloud Geeni we talk a lot about the benefits of our hosted desktops. But what exactly is a hosted desktop and how does it work when you use Cloud Geeni as your trusted partner? And, if you decide to migrate to a cloud-based hosted desktop, what do you need to know about the migration process?
Why switch to a hosted desktop?
- Work remotely from anywhere. On any device. One of the best things about the hosted desktop is its ability to support mobile working. You can keep using your business applications such as Microsoft Office, Outlook and Sage and access all the data you need, no matter where you are
- Improved security. At Cloud Geeni, everything is stored in high security and carefully controlled UK data centres. Furthermore, all the latest software fixes and security updates are updated and constantly protecting your system. And, with robust cloud encryption now available, storing data in the cloud is safer than storing it onsite
- Robust backups. With the hosted desktop your data is backed up automatically and these backups are tested regularly to make sure they work. So you never have to worry
- Reduced costs. With a hosted desktop from Cloud Geeni there is no cost of buying, running, and maintaining your own server. You also get better equipment for your business, at a fraction of the price, with storage capacity, processing power, memory, and network bandwidth all part of a shared kit. Crucially, you also just pay for what you need on a per-user basis. And scale up, or down on demand
- Increased productivity. Want to experience little to no downtime. At Cloud Geeni, our hosted desktop solutions boast 99% uptime. And, because your employees have access to everything they need wherever they need it, on any device, even if they aren’t in the office, both productivity and efficiency are improved.
Okay, but what exactly is a hosted desktop and how much will it cost?
The hosted desktop isn’t that different from a standard PC setup. You switch it on and access all the files and applications you need to do your job. But, unlike the traditional desktop, all the necessary settings, data, and operating system are delivered over the internet, rather than stored on the computer’s hard drive.
So, with a hosted desktop, everything is stored on servers in secure UK ISO-accredited data centres and delivered via the internet.This means users can access everything they need, from anywhere, at any time and on any device.
Because of the evolution of cloud computing, hosted desktops are now more affordable than they have ever been. And a reduction in cost doesn’t mean a downgrade in IT – quite the opposite! One of our clients was able to cut its annual IT budget by 60% and save a further £15,000 by no longer needing to replace its old server.
Is it a pain to switch to a hosted desktop?
Not at all. But there are a lot of things to consider when moving to a cloud-based hosted desktop. For example, which platform/products you should use. You’ll also need to take into account any legacy systems that need to be integrated into your new setup.
Looking after your migration from start to finish, we make sure that there isn’t any impact on your business operations.
We’ll also answer any questions you might have such as:
- Whether you can keep on working during the migration (Yes!)
- Whether you will be able to access emails during the migration (Yes!)
- Whether you would be able to get your data back if you decided to stop using us (Yes! But we hope we hope we’ll make you so happy you’ll never want to!).
In fact, if you appoint us, your new cloud system will run parallel to your legacy one until the process is complete, and you only move when you have tested your new solution and confirmed you are happy.
Reasons to buy a hosted desktop from Cloud Geeni
- ISO accredited data centres. Complying with an internationally recognised best practice framework, our data centres are situated in the UK and are ISO27001 certified (this ensures you are working with a trustworthy provider committed to safeguarding your data)
- Microsoft certified engineers. Our dedicated team of Microsoft Certified Engineers has everything you need to design and build a hosted desktop solution that is right for your business, and your budget
- Application hosting. With Cloud Geeni, your users will enjoy access to all the business applications they need, from anywhere, on any internet enabled device
- Real-time backups & replication. Our cloud storage boasts best-in-class backup and recovery processes. Your files sit on a dedicated machine in a UK data centre, but they are also duplicated and backed up. So if a failure occurs, it’s never a problem
- Secure storage. Everything is stored in high-security data centres, with robust encryption and all the latest security updates continually protecting your system. Where necessary, we’ll also meet any additional security standards specific to your sector
- Firewall protection. Cyber-attacks happen, and a strike can occur anytime, anyplace. With Cloud Geeni we do the worrying, so you don’t have to. At Cloud Geeni our cloud server services are equipped with Enterprise level Juniper Firewalls (managed by people who read security blogs and updates while on holiday!)
- Complete Microsoft suite of products. We help you get the most out of your chosen technologies
- Unlimited resources. We provide you with everything you need, as and when you need it. There are virtually no limits on how much power, space and memory you can use. So, if you experience a period of high demand, we’ve got you covered. Likewise, should that demand drop off, we’ll scale back to suit. So you never have to pay for resources that you don’t need.
At Cloud Geeni, our hosted desktop service is fully supported from the UK. With a managed approach, IT specialists are watching your system all the time, making sure it’s running smoothly and quickly. Our managed desktop services also boast best-in-class backup and recovery processes. So you can be sure that your data is recoverable should something go wrong.
Request a callback to see how our excellent hosted desktop solutions work in practice.