Desktop as a Service (DaaS) is a cloud computing solution that provides you with access to a hosted desktop. This hosted desktop works just like a standard computer desktop. You just switch it on and access all the files and applications you need to do your job. So you can keep using your business applications such as Microsoft Office, Outlook and Sage.
But, with DaaS, your data, operating system, and applications are hosted in the cloud and managed by a third-party provider. So, rather than having to look after everything yourself, you pay a subscription to them. In return, they provide you with access to your desktop and make sure everything works.
Why use DaaS?
First and foremost, you’ll want DaaS because you are aware of the benefits provided by hosted desktops, and want to bring these into your business. And it’s a smart decision, with a surplus of advantages including increased flexibility, scalability, productivity, efficiency and resilience. But you don’t have to use DaaS to run your new setup. You could use Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). With this, your IT team loads and manages a server, hosted in a datacentre, with virtualisation software.
However, a VDI approach can be costly to manage. And, while delivering hardware savings, you could see your IT infrastructure expenses increase; particularly when it comes to storage. Responsible for managing your hardware, software, licensing, and deployment in-house, with VDI you will have to dedicate valuable time and resource to keep everything working as it should.
On the other hand, with DaaS, you don’t need any large-scale infrastructure investment or ongoing maintenance. Instead, you pay for the software you require and use on a subscription basis. It’s no wonder, therefore, that businesses have started to turn to DaaS, with cloud technology replacing the traditional server-based model.
The benefits of DaaS
- Facilitates mobile working. Your employees have access to everything they need wherever they need it, on any device. Even if they aren’t in the office. So it promotes more flexible, mobile working practices
- With robust cloud encryption now available, storing data in the cloud can be safer than storing it onsite. Particularly if your hosted desktop provider guarantees that everything is stored in high security and carefully controlled UK data centres. And that all the latest software fixes and security updates are implemented and continually protecting your system
- Reduced costs. As we have established, with DaaS you don’t have to buy your own server. You just pay for what you need on a per-user basis, with storage capacity, processing power, memory, and network bandwidth all part of a shared kit. So you benefit from better equipment for your business, at a fraction of the price. What’s more, as your cloud supplier is looking after everything for you, you can save on ongoing maintenance costs, and you don’t have to worry about employing any in-house VDI expertise
- You only ever pay for what you need, with the ability to scale up, or down, on demand. Setting up new accounts for new staff and ordering more storage space or applications can be done in a matter of minutes.
- Better backup. With a quality managed desktop service you’ll benefit from best-in-class backup and recovery processes. Data will be backed up automatically and backups tested regularly to make sure they work. So you can be sure that your data is recoverable should something go wrong.
How do you go about implementing DaaS?
The DaaS model is extremely appealing. Not only does it allow your business to benefit from virtual desktops without the upfront costs, but the subscription model also helps you avoid the ongoing infrastructure maintenance and staffing of an on-premises VDI.
Just as important, setting up DaaS and providing a secure virtual desktop via a range of devices can be done quickly and easily.
But just as no two organisations are the same, neither are two DaaS implementations. Different businesses have different needs and priorities, so you need to make sure that your solution works for you.
Guaranteeing 99.9% uptime for our hosted desktops, we take the time to get to know your business and then tailor our service and support accordingly.
What’s more, you’re likely to have an existing on-premise infrastructure that needs integrating into your new setup. So, once we have all the information we need, we’ll adopt a carefully executed migration strategy. So there isn’t any impact on your business operations. Your new cloud system will run parallel to your legacy one until the process is complete.
With unrivalled and innovative features designed to benefit your business, BOOK A FREE DEMO and find out how Cloud Geeni can help you to work smarter with DaaS.